How to Survive Extreme Wilderness Situations
Do you love adventure? Mile Hi Rafting does. We plan adventures for a living, including but not limited to white water rafting, ATV tours, camping excursions. We know adventure seekers have a way of looking into the future and planning for what is around the corner or preparing for those extreme circumstances that probably will never happen but are fun to think about. Such things as, what if a bear attacks you, what do you do? What do you do if your raft flips over? What about if you are stranded on top of a mountain in the middle of a thunderstorm? Don’t worry; Mile Hi has you covered. We will give you tips that will at best entertain you and who knows, may even save your life!
Can You Survive a Whitewater Emergency?
Of course, you can because you are an adventurer and you are reading this. However, if you wanted to share it with a friend, here is the 411 on how to survive if you flip out of a raft.
- Assume the Position: Safest way to ride a rapid is on your back, head pointed upstream, feet down, legs flexed, and toes just above water’s surface. Lift your head to watch what is coming ahead. Use your feet to bounce off rocks and logs. Enjoy your ride!
- Time Your Breathing: Inhale on the low points of the rapids and exhale or hold your breath when at the crest of the rapids.
- Look for an Out: As you look downstream to avoid obstacles, scan the shoreline for calmer water or a river bend
- Go With the Flow: As the current carries you toward quieter water, paddle with your arms and kick with your legs to steer yourself to shore. When you get close, roll onto your stomach and swim upstream at a 45-degree angle, which will take you to the bank.
To be a man, and one that resides in Colorado, you must know how to defend yourself against a bear attack. Think of the boast factor on this one. Anytime there is a lull in conversation, you know where to take it. You are a man, or a woman, who knows how to stay calm in the face of an attacking bear. And, why should you just stay on the defense? Real men and women go on offense, even in a bear attack. We will show you how! Not only will you learn how to defend yourself, but you will also know how to attack a bear!
- Bear Pepper Spray: Because we are all peacemakers, this will be your first means of defense. Spray and stand your ground.
- Make Lots of Noise: Black bears often are initially uninterested in the attack, but just pushing your buttons to see if you are worth attacking. Show him you are not. Make yourself as large as possible and make as much noise as possible. If they see you as a viable threat, they will quickly lose interest. Unfortunately, this does not work in the dating scene.
- Fight Back: If a bear attacks you, fight back! Use anything you can get your hands on, rocks, sticks, or just throw a mean punch. Aim your blows to the bear’s face- specifically its eyes and snout. When a black bear is confronted with a fight, they typically back down and give up.
If you are stuck on a mountain in a thunderstorm, we will tell you how to survive. However, do whatever you need to not be caught on a mountain in a thunderstorm. Lightning strikes are the main threat. Here’s how to avoid them:
- In the Forest: Find Small Group of Trees: Retreat to a group of trees surrounded by taller trees or find a dry, low area like a ravine. Avoid lone trees or rocky outcroppings and ledges.
- In Open Area: Find Low Spot: Look for a dry low area, such as a valley. Crouch on ground with heels touching the ground, head between the knees, and ears covered. Do not lie flat on ground.
- Anywhere Outdoors: Take shelter: Get inside a car or other shelter. Avoid tents, water and areas that have flash flood potential.
Book Your Next Adventure with Mile Hi Rafting
Now that you can save yourself from any adventure gone awry, or at least talk about how you can with other adventurers, book your next excursion one today! Mile Hi offers professionally guided white water rafting and ATV tours. We provide all the gear- wet suits, splash jackets, PFD, helmets and ATV’s. We have trips for any ability and adventure level! Our pricing and location make it ideal for day trips and vacations. Kids are always welcome on any of our trips! We pride ourselves in being flexible and will help you arrange any combination of options to create your own experience. Call us today to create your epic adventure!