Fall is the best season for comfort food, but normal camping food is far from being considered that. What if you could make easy and delicious comforting meals while you’re out in the wilderness?
Camping Recipes That Are Perfect for Fall
With Thanksgiving in the air, the cravings for things like pumpkin, butternut squash, and apples start to get stronger, almost by the minute. At home, it can be easy, but did you know you can whip up some great fall recipes while out in the great outdoors, too? Of course, you can!
Get your apron out because we have two easy camping recipes for you that are worthy of any fall feast!
1) Wild Rice and Sausage Stuffed Pumpkins
A wholesome meal you can make on a hot dish.
- 1 lb ground sausage
- 4 cups of cooked wild rice, or half white and half wild
- 2 medium apples, cut into cubes
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
- Salt and pepper
- 6 small pumpkin
- Aluminum foil
- Cook the rice ahead of time, following package instructions
- On a skillet, cook the sausage and crumble it up. You could also prepare that before your trip
- Grab the pumpkins, cut an opening at the top and clean them out
- Add the diced apples to a mixing bowl along with everything else except the pumpkins and season with salt and pepper
- Put the pumpkins on a hot dish with a little cooking spray, stuff them with the apple mixture and wrap each in tin foil
- Place on the hot coals of a campfire and cook for 30 to 40 minutes until pumpkins are soft
2) Campfire Apples
A not-smores dessert that is easy and delicious.
- 4 apples
- 1/3 cup cinnamon Red Hot candies
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp butter
- Cut the apples into bite-size chunks
- In a bowl mix the candies, brown sugar and cinnamon
- Butter a large piece of aluminum foil (it’s best to use two layers of foil), put the apples in the middle and cover with candy and sugar mixture. Put a little butter on top, and wrap the tin foil. Put on the coals of your campfire for about 10 mins
Source: 50 Campfires
There’s no excuse not to have a nice, comforting meal while you’re camping this fall. Give us a call to start planning your camping trip in Colorado and enjoy the outdoors along with a great dining experience.