Fall is almost over, and Thanksgiving is just around the corner. What best way to break tradition than to go on a camping trip for Thanksgiving? Thanksgiving is about spending time with your loved ones and enjoying some quality time to give thanks. Let’s not forget is also about indulging with lovely delicious food! And even though camping food is somewhat simple, there’s a way to have a complete Thanksgiving meal. Today we share with you a way of cooking the main protagonist of a Thanksgiving feast: turkey!
Mile Hi Rafting Company, in Clear Creek County, offers outdoor adventure for everyone in the family. We are a family business that has been in these mountains for over 75 years and we believe that there is nothing grander than being in the outdoors. We offer ATV and UTV tours packages and help you plan your perfect outdoor adventure for you and your friends or family!
Just 6 steps to cooking a turkey in a fire pit
- Step 1. Start your fire and put in enough coals to have plenty of hot coals. Dig a two-foot deep hole next to the fire to make a pit. Make sure it’s wide enough to fit in the turkey.
- Step 2. Prepare the turkey by cleaning the outside and rubbing the skin with olive oil, salt and a seasoning mixture of rosemary, thyme and parsley; or any other favorite spices. Make the stuffing at home, so that you can just easily stuff it in the campsite. You can also choose not to stuff the turkey.
- Step 3. Wrap the turkey in cheese cloth and then wrap the entire turkey in three to four layers of aluminum foil.
- Step 4. Using a rake, start transferring hot coals from the campfire into the pit. The bottom should be completely covered in coals. Be sure to place hot coals and not any ash. Place your turkey on top of those coals. Then add in the rest of coals into the pit and cover it with dirt.
- Step 5. Leave the turkey to roast in the pit. A bird 8 to 12 lbs. will need about three hours.
- Step 6. Once time’s up, dig out the turkey from the pit, remove the foil and enjoy!
THE OUTDOORS AWAITS! BOOK YOUR ATV or UTV TOUR TODAY this fall!
Mile Hi Rafting’s convenient location , just 30 minutes out of Denver, makes it an ideal destination for day trips and vacations. We are a family owned and operated company. We want our guests to have personalized attention down to the detail on any ATV tour or UTV tour or camping excursion. Reservations are recommended to be sure there is an opening for your specific date and time. Book your tour today!